Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Quotage!

“I know how it feels to go hungry. When I was 7 years old, my family and I became trapped in our own home, huddled together amid the bullets and bombs of the civil war that raged around us in Southern Sudan. To leave home meant the risk of rape, or kidnapping, or death. We did have to step outside sometimes, to use the toilet in our backyard, but we crawled there, low to the ground, to avoid gunfire.

One night, my mother turned the latch in the front door to make sure we were safely locked inside; a gunman in the yard thought it was the click of a rifle and began shooting like crazy into the night. My parents, my eight siblings, and I survived on food our mother had grown in the yard: vegetables, grains, peanuts. We shared what little we had with the neighbors—those who hadn’t disappeared. It’s an awful feeling, being hungry.”
I never fail to be impressed by Alek Wek. She's truly amazing. My mother gave me a copy of her book to read and I couldn't put it down. She went through some terrible stuff and came out the other side fighting. She spoke to  Newsweek recently to talk about her experiences. Honestly, read her book. It's incredible.buy the book here

Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar