I created my little wildlife pond back in 2009. It's very small, it measures just 84cm X 64cm, but it's so well used by the wildlife that it's been a huge success. I think that if you want to attract wildlife to your garden then you should always add some water, even if it's just a small amount like I have here.
You can read about the plants I first introduced to the pond in my Wildlife Pond post which I wrote on my old blog. Unfortunately, the marsh marigold - Caltha Palustris took over and swamped everything else so that, and an iris which is also striving for domination, are the only two plants which now reside in the pond. I don't mind though, when you create something like a wildlife pond it's a case of seeing what works best and just going with it. I never wanted it to be too contrived, it's nice to let nature take it's course sometimes.
We've had a very warm spring this year and the little pond has attracted all manner of birds who like to take a little dip to cool down. I have three bird baths in the garden but they still flock to the pond. All sizes of bird from sparrows to pigeons use the pond. We have frogs in there too, though there's only a couple of years that they've spawned, I think it's just too small for the tadpoles to survive. Take a look at my Cute As A Newt post which I wrote on my old blog to see the newt we found by the side of the pond too.
The pond is situated in a small border which is full of plants, this affords the wildlife which visit plenty of ground cover where they can hide or rest away from the glare of prying eyes. There's bits of old wood, stones and pebbles, and shells around the edge of the pond, there's also an old frog house which is now rotting but still in use. I like to make sure there's plenty of different habitats and cover for all sorts of different wildlife in close proximity to the pond.
I must be doing something right as for such a small pond it certainly attracts its fair share of wildlife.

0 Yorumlar